As I have finished all my digging it was time to start getting ready for growing my beans.
Last year’s harvest was great – we had not only freshly picked French and runner beans but also many other beans that I kept on the plants until they ripened and dried and then shelled and stored in jars for the winter. I still have some, they are delicious in soups or casseroles, even just cooked and served with tomato sauce like baked beans.
I can confidentially say that I’m an expert on path renovation. I found another two pieces of wood and mended another path.
I just need a steady supply of scaffolding planks
The back hedge was half done yesterday – our two workers had to stop because our hedge is beside a road leading from a primary school, health and safety and all that.
I went for a walk after lunch today and there they were, finishing the job, sweeping and making everything neat.
Wayne Allen and his mate did a fantastic job! The hedge has never looked better and thanks to their effort we have a nice mountain of wood chip and I have already used some.
I’ve got a few more paths waiting for the same treatment.
My work will resume tomorrow, the weather forecast is good.
Finally! The back hedge is being done, almost as I write this, and as a result I have more wood chip.
Also I managed to find some more wood and was able to finish the edges of my main path. It wasn’t easy because over the years the path became uneven so before I put the wood chip down I had to shave off the edges. Now I know exactly how to repair paths, just get me more wood and I’m ready to carry on….
The weather has changed rather dramatically so I was able to continue with the upkeep of my main path.
The next task is to spread the wood chip on it and I’ll be happy.
I just need to find some more wood to finish the job – a couple of scaffolding planks would do the job…
The weather was very kind to me today, you could be forgiven to think the spring is here. Yesterday was storm Eric, I had an enforced day in and did some housework, curtain washing etc so I was more than ready for some grubbing in the soil today.
My friend gave me a standard gooseberry, a red one but I wasn’t able to plant it till now – first the ground was frozen solid then it poured down.
I made up for lost time today though. Morning was planting time, the gooseberry is in the fruit cage and the afternoon session was dedicated to weeding the cage, the surround and clearing a neglected path right at the end of one plot, behind a net cage. As we are going to have the rest of our hedge cut next week we shall gain a lot of wood chip and I shall put it on that path. It had grass but it was also full of weeds like creeping buttercup so I have cleared it and will put the wood chip there. It’ll be so much easier.
My new greenhouse is finished – completely!
Yesterday was a rainy morning so I went to the nearest garden centre and got 4 50litre sacks of potting compost, just the general variety, nothing special. These went to the allotment and are stored on the little veranda by my shed.
I have got some grow rings in the greenhouse but I needed some more. As I don’t have an oportunity to get any more I decided to copy my friend Dave yet again – use black plastic pots. He bought them ready-made, without the bottoms but I just cannibalised some old ones I had (that proved it to me that I shouldn’t throw any pots away!)
These were just embedded in the border in the greenhouse and topped with the compost.
I have even managed to get a thermometer. Today’s reading was 19 degrees!!
….for the spring to start. The new greenhouse is ready, everything in place so now I shall just close the door and try to be patient.
Perhaps I might get a new thermometer just to be perfect….
The grow rings are in place and this time the motto is – more is less. Last year the old greenhouse resembled a jungle as I tried to cram in as many tomato plants as I could. They grew ever so well – perhaps too well, they got leggy and in the end I didn’t have any more fruit anyway. Well, we learn by mistakes….
…are very useful. Apart from a few parsnips still in the ground all my digging is done. It is maintenance time now. The second greenhouse is done, beds are ready to start growing so now I have to get down to repairs etc.
This path was always to be the next one to sort out. It is between two of my plots so it is important that I can walk there without being afraid that I’ll slip.
I had some more pieces of wood left (most likely salvaged from someone’s demolition of a bed), they were just the right size to support the edges and the rest was easy. We’re in the process of having the trees at the back of the site, outside the new-ish fence trimmed to the height of the fence and at the same time we have the wood chip deposited in the top corner of the site, on an unused plot. A win – win solution.
Yesterday I managed to line the new greenhouse with bubble plastic, started one bed and filled it with horse muck and some soil improver. Today was the day to finish the job – created another bed and a little one at the back of the greenhouse and placed two barrels under the little down pipes to catch the rainwater.
They are already working, I found out that placing them at the back wasn’t working so I had to move them to the front.
Job done and I’m happy. Can’t wait for spring to come!