Even though it was a lovely sunny autumn day I decided to change my plans and instead of going to work on the allotment I started baking first thing in the morning. It was a loaf, this one is an overnight loaf, I don’t have to kneed it, just scrape the dough into the loaf tin in the morning and after it has risen again, bake it. It always works, it makes a very tasty loaf.
Next I made two cottage pies. I went to my favourite butcher shop yesterday and got some mince. I had all the other ingredients and even though the preparation takes a while, it is worth the effort.
As the mince was cooking I got two apple cakes mix ready and baked these while we had our lunch.
The apples are from the allotment, we’ve got a few communal fruit trees and they were laden with fruit. I’ve got no idea what variety they are. I use them in cooking but they are equally nice to eat raw.
After lunch we went for a short walk and on the way back we stopped at the allotment. I wanted to collect my pumpkins, they look ripe but I knew I couldn’t manage to carry them home by myself.
They are not big but feel very heavy. It’ll be a challenge to do some clever carving.
It was a clean-up time in the last few days on the allotment. I knew that I took my eyes off the weeds in the corner of one of my plots but when I actually got down to it I was in for a shock. The stinging nettles did very well and filled the space between my net tunnel and the enclosure for discarded pieces of wood and unwanted items.
In the end it was quite therapeutic to hack at the nettles and pile them on the compost heap. During this process I rediscovered another composter bin and that was the best surprise – it was full of beautiful crumbly soil. It must have been there a good few years, I kept adding to it but never emptied it. It reinforced my resolution to leave these bins as long as possible, it pays off.
Of course it followed that I would sort out inside the net tunnel. I have blackcurrants there and as they are still young I had some free space – enough to plant a couple of squashes. These did very well and I harvested one already, it will ripen at home. There are a couple more, a bit smaller so they can stay a while longer.
Because I had a pepper plant in one of my grow beds in the home greenhouse and wanted to use it for something else I harvested the fruit. I have never seen such misshapen peppers before and I haven’t tasted them to see if they are hot or sweet.
They all grew on the same plant and by the looks of the ‘normal’ ones I guess they’ll be hot.
During my daily visit I managed to pick some more tomatoes, some cucumbers and put more lids and suchlike under the growing pumpkins and squashes. Needless to say I had to keep up with the weeds – if everything grew as well as the weeds….
I’m delighted with the cucumbers, they are very tasty and it looks the plant will keep on producing. The long shiny peppers will turn red eventually, they are the long sweet variety. Another first for me in the greenhouse. I must be doing something right….
I think it is just about the right time to harvest my beauties, I don’t want to lose them to frost. All of them did well, Tromboncino, Zucca Hubbard, Zucca da marmelata and, of course, my Maltese pumpkin
Despite the very dry period my monsters seem to be getting bigger. One of the Zucca da marmelata fruits increased so much I had to create a support for it, I don’t want to lose it too soon, before being fully ripe. I hope it’ll hold it.
There is one more monster but I don’t think I shall try to do anything, hope for the best.
My very own Maltese pumpkin – well, one of a few – let’s see what he’ll manage.
I was much better organised this year with my allotment greenhouse. It is only small, not really perfect but it seems to do the job.
I planted some cucumber plants there and a number of different tomato plants.
They are doing amazingly well, I’m just waiting for the tomatoes to turn red. Once one of them goes, the others will follow.
Another thing I had to do on my plot was to build a new structure for my squashes. I had them climbing up on rather rustic structures last year but the combined effect of strong winds in the autumn and the weight of one of my Zucca da marmelata’s brought the whole thing crashing down.
The new structure is much more sturdy – lower but firmly fixed. It will be there for a few years. The first plants are beginning to climb and some have fruit already. I am watering and feeding almost every day. It will be worth it!
After a fairly dismal start everything seems to be growing well – not quite everything, the carrots, parsnips and beetroot didn’t germinate well, I had to re-seed them and even that is struggling. Never mind, I live in hope.
The squashes are doing much better though. As usual I will grow my tromboncino and zucca da marmelata and I add some new ones to it – zucca Hubbard and a Maltese pumpkin.
The squashes had a lovely structure last year but as one zucca da marmelata was about 7 kilo it pulled the structure down – with the help of a fairly fierce wind. Back to the drawing board then and I have constructed a new structure this year, in fact three of them. Much sturdier and I very much hope they will last a few years.
I planted a couple of squashes beside each vertical and with a little bit of coaxing they will climb.
After this I harvested one part of the garlic plants, purely to get it out of the ground to clear a square piece of land to implement my plan.
I have rescued two raised beds – they were abandoned on an empty plot so I thought I’d give them a chance to be useful. And useful they are for me – they are made in such a way that the corners are hinged so they can fold flat. Well, they’re not flat any more, I have put them on the plot, ready to plant with the autumn broad beans. That means that I can cover them with some netting as last autumn the pigeons ate all of my broad bean plants!!