I had some chitted potatoes left early in the spring so I have planted them in some bags, about three potatoes in each bag. They started growing quickly and I kept them in my little plastic-covered greenhouse at the back of my large one in the back garden. They had some protection there, all I had to do was to top the soil up as they grew and water them from time to time. Yesterday afternoon I decided to find out what, if anything, was there.
There was enough for a tasty dinner tonight with some freshly picked curly kale.
Both will be steamed and served with some butter, pepper and a tiny sprinkling of salt. What is there not to like?
We had a little drop of rain last night, just enough to soften the surface of the soil. It didn’t penetrate deep at all but was just enough to make the weeding a bit easier. Today was the turn of the brassica cage. I have a number of purple sprouting broccoli, kohlrabi, red cabbages and curly kale there and a lot of weeds. Amazing that they grew so well as May was extremely dry. It was a job for the whole morning.
A few hours and a stiff back later it looked much better.
It is a pity I can’t make any use of the bucket of weeds…
And after all the work I sprinkled a good amount of my feeding mix – fish, blood and bone and chicken manure pellets all around the plants. As I am writing this the long-awaited rain came so it should all soak in. Another net cage to weed tomorrow, and another the day after…..
I took a gamble and started planting out some of my seedlings. Yestarday was a lovely day so after lunch I took most of my brassica seedlings over to the allotment and planted them out in the recently rejuvenated polytunnel – now a beautiful net tunnel. All in all there are 50 of them there – a mix of kohl rabi, purple kale, cavolo nero and cauliflower.
Even though it is only a net tunnel it feels slightly warmer inside, the mesh is so fine that it seems to stop the worst of the wind. Let us hope for the best.
I think they’ll be fine.
Next I had to get some of my courgette plants out, they were getting a bit too big. I decided to put them in one of the raised beds where I constructed a support for them. The plants are lowere down so the wind doesn’t affect them.
After that it was just time to have a look how everything is doing – the broad beens are doing very well, I pinched the tops and hopefully this will stop the blackfly invasion.
The iceberg lettuce, the chinese cabbage and the Daubenton kale are all fine in the first net tunnel. Especially the kale – I bought just one plant and managed to get a number of cuttings, all rooted well and growing – this reduces the need to grow ordinary kale seedlings. This kale is very tasty and I’ve been picking it even during the winter.
I’m delighted – my first new potatoes today, the ‘Swift’ variety. This is only a trial, I carefully dug around one plant and the result is not too bad. This is the first time I grew Swift and most certainly will do again.
The ground wasn’t very good, it is a plot that got a bit neglected, I took it over in the autumn and work on it. Obviously it needs a bit more magic.
That’s the lunch sorted out for tomorrow, now a bit of the fabulous curly kale to go with it and we’re almost there.
Couldn’t be any fresher and there’s no waste on that.
Strawberry harvest to date – 11kg!
green! The weather this year seems to suit the brassicas – different types of cabbage, curly kale, black kale and kohl rabi. The effort of putting up the net cages was well worth it, I just have to deal with slugs and weeds. The pigeons are frustrated!