BEANS

As I have finished all my digging it was time to start getting ready for growing my beans.

Last year’s harvest was great – we had not only freshly picked French and runner beans but also many other beans that I kept on the plants until they ripened and dried and then shelled and stored in jars for the winter. I still have some, they are delicious in soups or casseroles, even just cooked and served with tomato sauce like baked beans.

 

WAITING GAME

It was very nice to be able to start the new year as I mean to continue.

After yesterday’s deluge we have a lovely crisp sunny day, ideal for a short visit to the allotment.

I have to be patient; got all my seeds sorted out and ready for sowing.001

When I got to the allotment I had to remind myself that everything was ready..

…and decided that it was. Now it is just a question of time. If this year is as good as the last one was for growing things I’ll be happy.

Happy gardening!

END OF NOVEMBER

The digging was finished yesterday afternoon. It was only the last strip of land where the bonfire was and I was able to dig the ashes in.

As I had some of Paul’s sticks left it would have been a shame not to use them. So I did.

As some of my squashes climbed quite well I’ve got a plan for my new variety to grow here. This will be a squash called Pennsylvania dutch crookneck. I found the seeds in a new (for me) seed company, Plant world seeds.

It was a beautiful frosty afternoon and I was quite glad that I didn’t have to do anything there today, it was just a short visit to take photos.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

AUTUMN…

…is a very busy time. I think people who don’t garden think that I can just harvest my veg and leave everything shut for the winter.

Not so.

003

Thanks to my friend Paul I have a great supply of seasoned willow poles – I just had to build another structure! I have ordered some new climbing beans for next year – both are from Sementi Franchi. One is Fagiolo rampicante bobis a grano nero and the other is Fagiolo rampicante albenghino.  They will grow here because I shall harvest them when the pods are quite dry and keep the shelled beans in jars for the winter, same as I did this year. They make an excellent addition to soups and stews.

You couldn’t have an autumn clear-out without a bonfire. I started burning mine yesterday but that fizzled out too quickly. It was much better today and by the time I went home it was almost all gone. I had to rebuild it to allow more air inside the pile of the branches etc but it certainly worked.

004

The weather is supposed to be fine tomorrow so I shall just sort out what’s left and finish digging this plot.

Then it’ll be all done (but I’m sure I’ll find some more jobs on the plot)

CLIMBING BEANS

This is the time to start thinking of future veg crop. In this case it is beans.

I don’t grow the traditional runner beans but any kind of climbing beans. After the few years on the allotment I’ve got my favourites. Most of my seeds are from one company – Thompson&Morgan. Occasionally I have some seeds from D.T.Brown but recently I started to save some of my own.

When we went to Paris a few years ago I found a little deli where they sold all kind of dried herbs, spices and some large white beans. I decided to buy just 100g with the view to try and grow them. They were amazing, grew like the bean in Jack and the beanstalk and when the pods were ripe I shelled them, dried and then stored them in airtight jars. Delicious in soups or stews. They’re called Spagna Bianco shelling bean, again from D.T.Brown.

Other beans from them are Goldfield, Golden Gate or Cobra.

All the other varieties are from T&M, like Blauhilde(round long dark purple pods), Goldfield (bright yellow flat stringless pods) and Selma Zebra, from their Heritage collection, the pods are purple speckled and striped.

Today was another nice day for a bit of work on the allotment. Even though we had some frost in the night I was able to work – the soil just needed to be turned over, ready to build the bean structure. Using my new azada I made a wide trench where I burried a lot of leaf mold and some compost from the bins. Then I pulled the soil over and constructed the poles into something sturdy.

On another little square of land is another construction, much smaller this time and also an obelisk. There will be a few more structures in different areas of the allotment, as and when the soil is workable and also when I dig out the remaining parsnips and leeks.