JOB FINISHED

Today was another lovely day, there was work to be done so I had an early start.Yesterday I managed to pollard the ancient willow – well, three of the stumps and there were another three waiting. Also I had a very useful find in the very back of the plot where it just looked like another compost heap. The two guys who had the plot before me were equally untidy and instead of taking their plastic pots and bits of netting home to throw away they just dumped it there and covered with soil. Amongst all this lot I discovered a ladder – one of the old-fashioned ones, a wooden one and that came very handy yesterday and especially today. I was able to climb high up and trim one more of the stumps and then Frank came to help and finished it all.

Not only the tree is done but also I gained another growing area. There was so much good soil along the fence that I took a number of wheelbarrows off and put in on another part of the plot where the soil is a bit heavy. This has left a nice border, one end has got a palette to keep the soil in and along the path is a low fence. I shall grow squashes and a pumpkin there next year, they’ll have enough room to run.

20191113_122622

I shall dig it over to find more rubbish and some unwanted nettle roots but otherwise it is ready.

ANOTHER GARDEN TO ATTACK……

I had a weekend away but that didn’t mean there was no gardening to do – quite the opposite !

The weather wasn’t ideal but myself and Mike managed to get quite a lot done. To make sure we would remember how much we did I took a number of photos before and after – and Mike took a few of me while working, perhaps to show that I actually did some work. Well, one pair of gardening gloves is no more and my fancy new boots are caked in Cumbrian mud.

Just to show what we did, there are some photos before

….and after

The job was quite simple – clear out the nettles, find the gooseberry and the raspberry canes, dig the ground and replant the above mentioned. The hardest job was digging out the nettle roots – they were amazing, a huge tangle and in some places almost impossible to get into. But all is done now, there is only a small part of the very long border to clear and then, of course, keep it weed-free. I’ll be monitoring it!

And just to show that I actually did some work there …..

008

We both worked the whole day on Friday and Saturday but Sunday – the rain stopped play after lunch. I think it might have needed a wet suit, the rain was something else and the ground turned into quagmire.

Ah well, better luck next time…..