It all seems to go well, hope I don’t speak too soon. I was able to work on the allotment quite a lot these last few days and it looks rather good. I still think that the weeds have got it in for me – as soon as I have finished one patch I have to go and start again.
Started earthing up the potatoes, they are looking good – if all fails we shall have spuds. I am glad I moved my strawberries into my huge raised beds. They are protected and all are flowering well, just hope we don’t get any late frost.
It is not only fruit and veg but also some flowers. I am trying to have as many as I can to encourage the bees and I think it works.
I know I have autumn fruiting raspberries but this late? I don’t mind but….
Not only the fruit but flowers too. My clematis flowered during the summer and I thought that it had finished for this year – not so.
I’m delighted as it gives me a splash of colour.
…..my ideal material for sprucing up the plot.
Yesterday I cleared the area between my new greenhouse and the latest net cage. It is not very wide – I had sunflowers growing close to the net cage as that way they had some protection. Close to the greenhouse is a large crown of rhubarb and a small raised bed. It was the perfect area for weeds to thrive!
It was clear of weeds but I knew I had to do something there to stop the weeds to come back. Slabs I thought. Again Simon came to the rescue. He already gave me a few of them to make a little path in front of the greenhouse, now he gave me the rest of them. The blue bricks I dug out from the ground at the end of this very same plot – the guy who had it before me started to build a wall?? It looked like it, all in all I unearthed 15 blue bricks! The rest can be seen here
To finish it all off Simon also gave me some sweet William plans – he was planting them out and, fortunately for me, had more than he could use. Thanks to him it looks very nice, the bees will love it next year when it all flowers.
I’ve got two very tall sunflowers – one on the farm
I didn’t manage to measure that one and
this one in the back garden – 10ft 10,5inches!
…..in the back garden.
First of all I thought that I won’t have much colour in the garden. How wrong I was! Last night’s rain has refreshed it all and now the flowers are just fantastic.
Pity we can’t smell the photos….
Everything in the garden is doing well. Thanks to my brother-in-law Chris I have the nicest tulips in the front and back garden – a mix of colours and types. A lot of them are in pots and the challenge next year will be to find somewhere in the ground to plant. We’ll see….
I had to do a few improvements to my latest cage but after today’s work I’m happy.
Because it stands very close to the path I decided to put a couple of boards between the net and the edge of the path – as I will trim the grass on the path I won’t be able to damage the net. I know it doesn’t look very pretty but it does the job.
The next was a little path leading to the door of the cage – just three slabs and it looks ok. In case I have to get inside on a wet day….
And the last thing was sprinkling of a mix of annual flowers on both sides of the path. There isn’t enough room to grow any veg but it’ll be nice to have a mix of flowers to attract the bees.
When I first started working on the allotment I had just one half of a plot. I thought that it would be enough. Little did I know that I will have so much land in the end.
This was the first bit of land – without any structures on it and rather overgrown!
The chairman just mentioned that the person who had the other half of my plot doesn’t want to work it any more and would I like it. I didn’t need any time to think about it because I realised that just a half is nowhere near enough for my plans.
Every plot needs a shed – mine was made for me by one of the other allotmenters – out of pallets – talk about recycling!
First if was one more half then a bit more and end is that now I have two full plots and three separate halves. I have the luxury now of growing flowers!
I have finished puling the weeds, cutting the path edges, building the structures for growing beans and climbing courgettes and now all I have to do is wait. I even had time to put a huge flowerpot over one rhubarb crown to force it so we can look forward to some very tasty pink rhubarb later on…..
…and all of a sudden I have got another bit of land. I must say, I’ve given up a part of a plot, close to my raspberry patch – I’ll cover it with some tarpaulin and old carpet to suppress the weeds. This ‘new’ bit is actually the other half of my own plot where I have my fruit cage, net tunnel and a big net cage. It just made sense to add that…..well, it made sense to me, anyway. The guy who gardened on it left and I started as I mean to continue.
There is only a small patch left to dig and I’m done.
All my other plots are ready, I just have to pull out some weeds that dared to appear! The last thing will be to tidy the raspberry plot – before the canes get growing I can trim the edges and weed the rows.
The weather should be good again tomorrow and I think I might be able to finish it all. One more task – must put a bag of my saved horse manure into each composter bin, to help the breakdown of the material in there.
As I have quite a bit of land I shall grow some annual flowers – it’ll add extra colour and also attract bees to the plants.
The time for measuring is here – the annual talest sunflower competition is upon us and this year I’m quite confident that I’ll do well.
The tallest one is 9ft and 11 inches. It stands beside the greenhouse so it is protected and also needs to grow tall to reach the light. I think that’s the secret!