TLC

…and a lot of hard work was the order of the day on the allotment today.

There was a plot on our site that nobody worked on. I thought that somebody wanted it and was going to start working there. I was wrong. It happens from time to time that people think they would like to have an allotment but when it comes to actually working on the plot, the reality hits them – it is quite a lot of work. This particular plot wasn’t overgrown with weeds – I know because it was mine last year. When I harvested the potatoes I dug it all over so it was in good order.

All the same, this person didn’t return so rather than to leave it neglected, I took it back and it is all ready and just waiting for good weather.

I had to clear some big drums , some were full of sand – this belonged to the chap before me who was into growing exhibition parsnips. Anyway, all the drums are gone, the sand neatly heaped to one side and the new space ready.

Because there was quite a bit of sand mixed with the soil I took an advantage of it and made it into a parsnip patch. We’ll see.

Next on the list was finishing planting some garlic – I had some tiny cloves, put them into grow cells, they rooted so now was the time to put them out, join the overwintered ones.

007

Onion sets and shallots received the same treatment. The shallots were well rooted in the cells so they’ll have a head start. Then I planted some red onion sets but even though I thought I had enough I shall have to get some more. Work will continue…

005

Last but not least was some work in my greenhouse when I got back home. I wanted to have some very early potatoes, decided on the variety. They’ve chitted well so they went into pots and will be kept in the greenhouse for now.

Then it was the small task of looking if all the seed trays are well watered and that’s that for today. Tomorrow is another day….010

CARROTS

…are rather difficult to grow – if you don’t want to have them riddled with worms and attacked by the dreaded carrot fly.

I have tried different ways of growing them, ever since I started on the allotment, never completely successfully. I planted onions between rows of carrots – no luck; Seeds of marigolds in between rows of carrots didn’t do much either, nor did a fleece fence around the carrot bed.

This time I’m trying a different method. I’ve got a long and quite deep wooden box, without bottom, it sits directly on the soil. I’ve filled it with sharp sand almost all the way up and then added a thin layer of soil on top. I will carefully sow the carrots into this and wait how well (or not) they’ll do. It can’t be much worse than all the other previous efforts!