Last week we went to visit our eldest son in the Lakes. As usual I did a bit of gardening there, weeding and cutting down old dry viburnum tree and, as the highlight of my stay, visited a nearby farm. I did read about them and heard about their produce but seeing it for myself was something else.
The farm is Dalefoot, they are in Heltondale and produce a large range of compost.
This particular compost is very good for growing tomatoes so I transplanted my seedlings into that. It says that it needs much less watering and I don’t have to feed it anymore. It is a winner on all fronts.
I have finished repairing the main paths on the allotment site, I’m happy.
It was in doubt for a while as I didn’t have enough wood for the edges and also we ran out of wood chip. All is well now – yesterday was the hard work – finding wood and fixing it in place
Today was the day to finish the job but the weather wasn’t kind to me. Never mind, it was only water – and the last path is done! I wanted to get it to this state because everybody can see through our gate and the first impression is important. Now our site is an example (I think ) of a working and well maintained site. Long may it continue!
Thanks to my friend I have got more wood – a dismembered large pallet so I was able to continue with my path renewal.
However I shall have to stop for a while, I don’t have any more wood chip. Never mind, I could just prepare the sides and fill the path as and when I get some more.
At the same time I sorted out the raspberry patch and as I was finishing it started to rain. Perfect planning.
As I have finished all my digging it was time to start getting ready for growing my beans.
Last year’s harvest was great – we had not only freshly picked French and runner beans but also many other beans that I kept on the plants until they ripened and dried and then shelled and stored in jars for the winter. I still have some, they are delicious in soups or casseroles, even just cooked and served with tomato sauce like baked beans.
I can confidentially say that I’m an expert on path renovation. I found another two pieces of wood and mended another path.
I just need a steady supply of scaffolding planks
The back hedge was half done yesterday – our two workers had to stop because our hedge is beside a road leading from a primary school, health and safety and all that.
I went for a walk after lunch today and there they were, finishing the job, sweeping and making everything neat.
Wayne Allen and his mate did a fantastic job! The hedge has never looked better and thanks to their effort we have a nice mountain of wood chip and I have already used some.
I’ve got a few more paths waiting for the same treatment.
My work will resume tomorrow, the weather forecast is good.
Finally! The back hedge is being done, almost as I write this, and as a result I have more wood chip.
Also I managed to find some more wood and was able to finish the edges of my main path. It wasn’t easy because over the years the path became uneven so before I put the wood chip down I had to shave off the edges. Now I know exactly how to repair paths, just get me more wood and I’m ready to carry on….
The weather has changed rather dramatically so I was able to continue with the upkeep of my main path.
The next task is to spread the wood chip on it and I’ll be happy.
I just need to find some more wood to finish the job – a couple of scaffolding planks would do the job…
The weather was very kind to me today, you could be forgiven to think the spring is here. Yesterday was storm Eric, I had an enforced day in and did some housework, curtain washing etc so I was more than ready for some grubbing in the soil today.
My friend gave me a standard gooseberry, a red one but I wasn’t able to plant it till now – first the ground was frozen solid then it poured down.
I made up for lost time today though. Morning was planting time, the gooseberry is in the fruit cage and the afternoon session was dedicated to weeding the cage, the surround and clearing a neglected path right at the end of one plot, behind a net cage. As we are going to have the rest of our hedge cut next week we shall gain a lot of wood chip and I shall put it on that path. It had grass but it was also full of weeds like creeping buttercup so I have cleared it and will put the wood chip there. It’ll be so much easier.
My new greenhouse is finished – completely!
Yesterday was a rainy morning so I went to the nearest garden centre and got 4 50litre sacks of potting compost, just the general variety, nothing special. These went to the allotment and are stored on the little veranda by my shed.
I have got some grow rings in the greenhouse but I needed some more. As I don’t have an oportunity to get any more I decided to copy my friend Dave yet again – use black plastic pots. He bought them ready-made, without the bottoms but I just cannibalised some old ones I had (that proved it to me that I shouldn’t throw any pots away!)
These were just embedded in the border in the greenhouse and topped with the compost.
I have even managed to get a thermometer. Today’s reading was 19 degrees!!