It was day two of the rebuilding of net tunnels. The old net tunnel was very old and didn’t survive the last snow fall we had some weeks ago. Like with everything else on the allotment I very carefully took it apart and stored the nets in my shed. The plastic hoops were kept on a spare piece of ground where we keep sacks of horse muck and other useful things. Yesterday I finished the first low net tunnel and knew that I have enough of everything to make another one. Also I had enough space beside the first one. I wasn’t sure about the weather but the day turned out very good, just right for a spot of digging and then building.
The ground was just right, not at all waterlogged and there weren’t too many weeds so this part was quite easy.
I’m leaving a wide enough path between these two structures and both of them will be opened from this path. The plan is to fold the net half way, clip it to the hoop and work inside. The other side is fixed to the ground.
The most difficult job was fixing the net today, a sudden gust of wind undid my efforts a few times. But I’m delighted all is done now, just waiting for the real spring weather to start and then I’ll be able to transplant all my seedlings there.
When I was watering the radishes in my greenhouses I noticed some small tomato plants in the soil there. It must’ve been from last year’s crop, I had so many tomatoes some of them were just too ripe to pick. They rested in the soil during the winter and now started growing. I selected the best few and planted them in the big pots in my newest greenhouse, in the finished glazed one. They must be really tough to survive the winter so I’ll see what variety they’ll be. I’m not fussy, I love tomatoes.