I’m delighted with the result. I was hoping to finish the ‘greenhouse project’ today and with Stevie’s help I did just that. I was going to cut the grass on the path beside the greenhouse before putting the net on and Stevie very kindly did it for me yesterday afternoon, after I went home.
It would have been difficult to do the edges with the net in place so in future I have to trim the edge much more often so I don’t damage the net.
The net is another piece of recycling – this was the net cage that collapsed after the heavy snowfall some weeks ago. I managed to salvage everything that time and now it came very handy. One part of the net cage was enough to go all the way over the greenhouse and to secure it on either side I used the long poles that served as a door in the cage. I wrapped the net around the post and pressed the roll down and pinned it. The net is held in place on the roof and walls with spring clips. I had just enough to keep it secure but must get some more .
The next task was to finish it inside. I did quite a bit already yesterday so today was just some details. All is now ready for growing. The glazed greenhouse will have tomatoes both in the large pots on the bench and in the border.
The netted one will be ideal to grow cucumbers in the border, I will have them climbing up on strings.
There was one more little job to do today. After I moved the large black pots into their new home I had space behind another of my greenhouses. My friend Dave let me have some large pots full of good soil – a result of another cannabis factory haul so I placed them there and planted a few sprouted potatoes in each.
Waste not want not – there is never anything wasted on the allotment. If I can’t use something somebody else certainly will.