The weather doesn’t really know what to do – we’ve had some glorious warm days recently but in the last few days it all changed.
A few weeks ago I covered a few of my rhubarb crowns with the hope that we might have some nice pink rhubarb. It worked and from a few of those I collected I had a reasonable harvest.
I have got a tried and tested recipe for stewing rhubarb, not only the very young one. Prepare it as usual, cut into even chunks and add some orange rind and pieces of one large orange, trying to remove the fine white membrane. Only a sprinkling of sugar and then I let it stand for a while. It releases the juices and then it can be cooked, as slowly as possible, without breaking the pieces of rhubarb.